Pathways to Economic Opportunities Roundtable
Friday, May 11, 2012
Las Americas Conference Center
55 Exchange Place, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10005
The Hispanic Federation (HF) and The Center for Puerto Rican Studies/El Centro, will host a roundtable discussion to disseminate findings from HF’s Pathways to Economic Opportunities Program. Although one in three jobs in the U.S. are considered low wage, it is ten times more likely that low wage earners will be represented by a minority group, including Puerto Ricans and other Latinos. This conference will assess the findings of a three year study on Puerto Ricans and other Latinos in the low-wage sector and present programs and policies that facilitate social mobility.
Topics for discussion include:
- The role of partnerships between colleges, community-based organizations (CBOs) and the private sector in job creation
- An analysis of the pathways of Puerto Ricans and other Latinos transitioning into post-secondary education
- Potential employment in the green energy, teaching and social work fields
The agenda is as follows:
- Roundtable 1: “Programs and Best Practices Emphasizing Partnerships with Higher Education”-This roundtable will highlight promising programs and best practices in the area of workforce development, with an emphasis on partnerships with higher education. Discussions will include El Centro’s special issue case studies research on the social work, education, health and green jobs sectors.
- Roundtable 2; “Policy & Sustainability of Partnerships” - This roundtable focuses on policy and how to sustain an integrated system of employers, colleges, CBOs and career centers through partnerships. It will address Puerto Rican/Latino disparities across the system, including college enrollment and completion in programs targeting industry readiness and placements.
Breakfast and lunch will be served. To RSVP, please contact Lucia Perez Bernhardt at 212.233.8955 ext. 121 or